June 18, 2004

Nothing says congratulations like someone telling you that you can't do it.

Being told "there's no way you can do this" only strengthens my motivation to prove I can.

Flashback:

When I was a freshman in high school, I had issues with my self esteem and ability to play tennis, although I had been playing since 2nd grade. I would always say "I can't do this" The team lockers each had a laminated paper, where the coach would write what we should work on each week. He would also add a sticker for each win. Everyone on the team would have different messages each week, except for me. Mine never changed from "Be positive."

Flash Forward to Present:

Some where between there and here, I gained positivity and confidence. I like to say to myself "I am an adult, and I will do what I want." I put thought and feeling into most every action I take. If only other people would see that in me, the world would be a better place.

PS. That laminated paper still says "Be positve" and is still hanging on my bedroom door. Every time I see it, I am reminded of who I was then and who I am now.

No comments: